Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's Been A Learning Experience

Over the years I can safely say that I have tried dozens and dozens of different skincare products and routines.  I've jumped on the band wagon of so many products that so many of my friends swear by and been disappointed.  I've splurged on beauty magazine must-haves and strongly regretted the "investment".  Unfortunately this is the essential truth of beauty products in that they are different for everyone and we all will have different results.   Very rarely have I been lucky trying out the product I painstakingly selected after 30 minutes of careful label reading at Target.

For me, the surefire route to the most cost effective and helpful products is to visit a licensed Aesthetician who you know works with a variety of different product lines.   I have found aestheticians to be truly helpful because of their wide knowledge of skin and how to best treat what ails it.  But like anybody who sells anything it is important to be wary of the "up-sell".  Ask for samples of their products.  They shouldn't have any qualms with this as they know better than anyone that all of our skin types are different and react differently to products.

The most important thing I have ever learned about skincare is to be diligent in the care of your skin.  The frequency and consistency of cleansing and skin treatments are vital to skin health.  A product that I absolutely could not live without that I have yet to mention are my SPF products!  I live in Scottsdale, Arizona...it is sunny here practically every day of the year which is great, but not great on my skin.  I always buy makeup with at least a small amount of SPF in it, and always be sure to put on a strong sun block like Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Sunblock Liquid SPF 70, if I know that I will be out in the sun for any prolonged amount of time.   I like this product in particular because it has a very light consistency, no strong scents, doesn't look or feel greasy and will not make you break out -- oh and not to mention it is only $7!

I was never too careful with my skin around sun.  I grew up running around for hours out doors or splashing in the pool frequently getting at least a dozen severe sun burns each summer. At 25 I am starting to see the effects of this carelessness and for the past couple years have been very careful about my sensitive skin on my face, neck and chest.  Take a look around at those weathered bodies you see at the pool...the leathered, wrinkled skin just isn't pretty ladies.  I am sure by the time I am 30 I will probably require some sort of laser resurfacing treatment or another to help repair the damage I caused when I was young and reckless.  But that doesn't mean I should go ahead and further the damage I have already caused.

Hats, hats, HATS are now my best friend in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment